Friday, October 14, 2011

Incredible

Today was our third ultra sound (see story above for details). The first was at 8 weeks when she looked just like a little gummy bear. She twitched and moved an arm nub, but that was pretty much it. The next was at 17 weeks when we found out she was a girl. She looked more like a baby, but still just kind of a blob-like. Then there was today. She's not just a baby to me anymore, she's a person. When you see the things I saw today, I don't know what kind of sane person can argue that my baby is not a living being. You would have to be heartless or crazy to justify that.
Usually I'm not a big fan of 3-D ultra sounds, the first one they did when our baby was 17 weeks was weird and kind of creepy. But today was different. It was an amazing experience. Even the nurses said they hadn't seen anything like it. They kept calling to each other to come look. They apologized it was taking so long, but they said this was a rare treat for them and they wanted to watch as long as they could. They even put her picture on their "Wall of Fame" where they keep their favorite ultra sound pictures. Their only complaint was that our baby moves so much and so rapidly it was hard for them to get clear pictures.
I saw incredible things that these still photos don't capture. She kept her eyes open the entire time (the nurses said that rarely ever happens, they kept muttering "amazing"), she opened and closed her mouth repeatedly, she winced, she smiled, she played with her fingers, she touched her face... it was just... beyond words.
One of my sisters said our baby looked creepy, but in a good way. I think she's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (even if she is a little creepy ;-) ) and I can't wait to meet her.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best, they're pictures of not very clear prints.

That line across her cheek is the umbilical cord.

Ryan likes this picture because it looks like she's sticking out her tongue.

She blinked here so she looks like a peaceful, sleeping baby.

Technology blows my mind! I know, small explosion right? ;-)

4 comments:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

To me those are some of the most amazing photo's I have ever seen in my life! WOW! What a beautiful and alert baby!

Cali and Travis said...

WOW! She'd better get here soon, that's all I have to say. I want to see how much she actually looks like those photos!

Jacob and Cami said...

Well I guess we both have creepily beautiful babies:) I can't wait to see her. I am constantly amazed by modern technology.

Jacob and Cami said...

Or maybe they're so beautiful it's creepy. BTW- I only saw the first one. The other ones are awesome .I think she looks like Ryan!