My favorite birds at the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden.
1. Victoria Crowned Pigeon - They are the largest species of pigeon in the world (6-7 lbs.). I like their "crown" feathers and red eyes.
2. Hyacinth Macaw - They do not have the variety of color that other macaws possess, but I think that the deep, rich indigo coloring of their feathers is the most stunning.
3. Raggiana Bird of Paradise - Beautiful, long tail feathers make them a stand-out.
4. Toco Toucan - Who doesn't love Toucans? Just looking at them makes me feel like I'm in a tropical place.
5. Lady Ross's Turaco - Love the "buzz cut". Even though their feathers appear blue, they have a gorgeous green sheen in the sunlight.
6. Kookaburra - They don't have vibrant color, but they do have a mischievous look about them and when they "laugh" you know they're up to no good (ours like to antagonize the Saiamangs with their "laughter").
7. Eurasian Eagle Owl - Love those big, orange eyes.
8. Golden Breasted Starling - Stunning color.
9. Wreathed Hornbill - Aside from the fact that they're of impressive size and look prehistoric, they make pretty interesting noises. Very neat birds.
11. Carmine Bee Eater
12. Blue Faced Honey Eater - Love the olive green color.
13. Plush Crested Jay - They look at me very curiously every time I visit them. I've even had one call to me.
Although I feel like I have found the best pictures of these magnificent creatures that the internet has to offer, I still recommend going to see them in person (if your zoo has them). Their beauty needs to be seen in person to be truly appreciated.