Sunday, September 11, 2011

When I Was 8 1/2 Months....

I hear that a lot now. Mostly because most strangers don't believe I'm really almost 9 months pregnant. I don't blame them since I have a work uniform that swallows me. The conversation usually starts when tourists try to do some small talk and ask if I have kids. "Not for another six weeks" is my reply. The different reactions are great. For some people it goes right over their head, a few look confused but don't ask, some try to then look at the belly without making it look like they're looking, but most people respond with, "OMG! Are you pregnant? I couldn't even tell! Girl you're tiny! You look great!" Then comes the stories about how absolutely HUGE they were at 8 months and how lucky I am. Don't get me wrong, I do feel fortunate not to look like a Thanksgiving parade balloon, but it does annoy me when people try to write off any back pain or swelling I have as nothing simply because I'm not the female equivalent of the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man. A lady at church actually told me I was being a wimp when I had the audacity to sit down in a grocery aisle and rest because my contractions were so intense (whoever said Braxton Hicks don't hurt should change places with me for a day). I'm still carrying around extra weight that my body isn't used to. I'm 33 pounds over my normal weight. Quite a feat considering I initially lost somewhere between 12 - 15 pounds the first 3 1/2 months. Oh well, people are always going to be judgmental and always base their evaluation of others on what they think other people should feel according to their own experience.

My less-than-flattering work uniform.

For those of you that weren't aware, I stopped working at the ranch at the end of July. The second week of August I got a job out at Turtle Bay at the Hele Huli Adventure Center. Here I make reservations for guests for recreational activities like helicopter rides, kayak tours, surf lessons, tennis lessons and court times, horseback riding, Segway tours, etc. We also rent out snorkel equipment, beach floats, backpacks, mopeds, bicycles, tennis gear, underwater cameras, boogie boards, skimboards and the like. To top it all off I also get to make shave ice for customers (hint, you know someone is not local if they request "shaved" ice).

Also, when I am wearing a shirt that shows the belly I get asked this depressing question a lot, "Did you just have a baby?"
That would actually discourage me if I didn't belong in this gene pool:

I think I'll be okay.

3 comments:

Jacob and Cami said...

I feel your pain. I love getting compliments, but I hate that people think because I "look good" that I have no problems. I admit that I don't have many complaints, but I am 9 months pregnant and most days I feel like it.

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

What a great Gene pool to come from. (Thank you very much!)

Cali and Travis said...

Hey where's the picture of me after I had a baby? J/K