Saturday, June 25, 2011

New phone number

So a lot of people have been asking why did I change my phone number and why didn't I get a Hawaii number. I got my first cell phone six years ago right after HS graduation. But it wasn't really "my" phone since it was originally shared with Hillary and Cody. That changed when I went away to college.
Funny side story: Since that time I have only had two phones. My original Samsung crashed in June 2007 and it was replaced by the Samsung I had up until this week when Ryan decided my phone had taken too great a beating and bought me a new one. When we went to the Verizon store the guy at the counter asked "Now Miss Lowry, what would you like your phone to do?" Ryan busted up laughing when I replied in all seriousness, "Call people." I'm not a bells and whistles kind of girl. Although the Verizon guy really wanted me to buy a smart phone, I was adamant about another Samsung flip phone so he went and dug one out of the back. Apparently they don't even display them anymore.
So why get a new phone number now? Because I was getting a lot of junk calls. Back in early 2009 I got the first marketing call on my cell phone. At first they were infrequent, only one every few months but since then they've been steadily getting more regular. It's to the point now when I easily get 10 or 12 in a day. I began turning my phone off at night back in March because the calls would begin around 3:00 AM. Everything from "buy my product" to "get this bank loan" to "visit my website". I didn't know you could get those kinds of calls on your cell but apparently you can.
So why not get a Hawaii number? I wanted to, but since I originally got my phone in Idaho Verizon said I could either get a new Idaho number for free or get a Hawaii number for $15. I wanted to save $15.

My new Samsung phone.

I'm old school.

2 comments:

Leigh This Way said...

Go to www.donotcall.gov and register all of your phone numbers. It'll take about 2 weeks but after that you won't get any more telemarketers calling you. We had the same problem a few years back but no more. If by chance you do get one, tell them you're on the do not call list and that'll be the end of the phone call.

Kelly and Jesse said...

I know what you mean. When I went in to get the phone I have know (which I've had almost 2 years)I told the salesman my old one was starting to have some issues so I needed a new one. Then I said I think I might be due for an upgrade anyway. To which he responded, "I know you are due because we don't even make that phone anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw one."