Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life is too short!

People just don't understand me. In middle school that bothered me a lot, now it's more of a complement.

I'd heard people say "Life's too short" when they refused to let inconsequential things darken their day, but now it seems to be my sole explanation for the way I live my crazy life.

Do you realize that at 22 years old, I'm almost a third of the way through my life? It's a life that's already had more diversity and adventure than your average 50 year old, but there's so much more I want to pack in it! At the age of 13 normality was my goal, by 17 it was my enemy. Nothing seems so awful as living a normal life. Going to school, getting a job, trying to work your may up to the top of that job, making big plans so that one day you can take that dream cruise or vacation. Living the same mundane routine every day looking somewhere in the distant future for that hazy goal. Not me.

I've been taking a lot of criticism for our decision to move to Hawaii in December. I'm "weird" and "overly optimistic". I've been told things like "my friend hated that school", "you can't adjust to island life, it's not what you think", "the cost of living there is so expensive", "you'll never see your family" (they obviously don't know my family), "if some disaster comes you can't leave, you're trapped", "there's too much water", and I could go on and on and on. I've heard it all. The best so far is the accusation that I don't want my kids to grow up righteous (you can't make this stuff up). I was seriously told that leaving "Zion", aka Southeast Idaho, was just begging for rebellious children, because every kid that grows up there is righteous apparently.

Now I've added more gasoline to the flame because I haven't officially been accepted to BYU-H yet....but I bought two non-refundable one-way tickets to Honolulu. I'm now "hasty", "impulsive", "crazy", and a "fool". As if people didn't understand me before, now they really don't. So here it is: life isn't stopping. Since the first tears I shed on the airplane September 19, 2007 I've been dreaming of getting back. But dreaming only gets me so far and here's my shot and I'm taking it. So what if I don't get accepted? So what? On December 30th seat 17D on Horizon Air will be occupied I promise you. I've been asked a lot "So what are you going to do in Hawaii if you're not in school?" Does a question like that even merit a response?

Look around, Life's Happening! I learned a long time ago that "someday" never comes to you, you have to chase it down. I've spent too many days thinking and pondering over things I could've done, things I probably should have done. I don't want to do that anymore. From now on if I want something and I know in my heart it's the right thing for me, I'm taking it. Heaven help anyone or anything that stands in my way. If it's money, I'll find a way to earn it; if it's fear, I'll conquer it; if it takes work, I'll roll up my sleeves and get it done; and if it's critics, I'll drown them out.

I guess I can't be normal and wait around for someday, I have to be crazy and foolish because life is just way too short.

7 comments:

Cali and Travis said...

AMEN!

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I have too many sentences I can start with "I wish I had...."
If I were 22 with no house and no children you bet your buns I'd find a way to move to Hawaii with my husband! You go girl!

As for ".."So what are you going to do in Hawaii if you're not in school?" The correct answer is SURF!

Jacob and Cami said...

The correct answer is "Who Cares, I'm in Hawaii"!!! Shoot, if your going to be School-less, Jobless, and Homeless it might as well be someplace warm and tropical. I can't wait to come and see you.

Hillary and Jake said...

Can We Come too? I like the sound of being homeless job-less and shoe-less.

travis said...

just as long as you don't end up like the homeless in Guam, living in a tent on the beach with nothing

Guffey Family said...

For all those nay-sayers out there just remind them that if you're homeless, jobless, and school-less you're in the "birth" state of President Obama. He'll take care of you. The government will help you get a house, give you foodstamps and why waste time with a job when you can collect unemployment or welfare? And you're on a tropical island what could be better.

Unknown said...

Yeah Shiloh, and just think, if North Korea wipes us off the map, the family gets compensation right? It worked for the Jersey Girls.