Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I feel the weight bearing down upon me

Okay, now I don't want to make it sound like concrete work is the hardest job out there, but let's be honest - it can be pretty tough work. And you don't have to just ask my dad and brother, you can ask any one of my sisters. You read that right ladies and gentlemen, my sisters, and our mom, have all poured, mixed, sprayed, dyed, shot, tested, and stamped concrete. Not to mention the setting up and wrecking of forms. Those hands that may sport manicures have had their fair share of concrete burns, and those bodies that look great in high heels, and better in bikinis ;-), have sweated and ached from the blistering heat of Puerto Rico and Mexico to the bitter cold of Colorado and Wyoming. And when you're a Cunningham (or married to one) you're expeted to to work faster, stronger, and harder than any man out there. There are no excuses, you are a Cunningham.
This brings me to my funny story. I'm working down here in Georgia where it's no stranger to sweltering summers, however these last few days have been overcast and rainy. The concrete company contracted to do work on the outer perimeter of the site showed up Monday. And boy were they tough looking dudes! Not many skinny laborers can get away with a skin tight button-up shirt with the sleeves torn off and unbottoned down to the navel. Rrrrrrrr. Or the shorts and naked lady t-shirt look. And the whole James Dean cigarette hanging out of your mouth look was a killer too for most of them. I informed dad that they were here. As is the case with all visitors, he charged me with keeping an eye on them. Such a task is as appealing as keeping an eye on a herd of swine. But I did as I was told.
Later one of the workers was spotted holding his hard hat under his arm. Our OSHA representative approached him and reminded him that hard hats had to be worn on our job site. The man's response was priceless. Why hadn't he been wearing a hard hat and why was he so reluctant to do so? In his own words "It's too heavy."
What? Had we not been so flabbergasted I might have brought up my sister wearing a hard hat all day as she manned a concrete pump while pregnant and with morning sickness, and the supervisor could have pointed out that if the laborer coudn't bear the weight of his hard hat
how was he supposed to pour concrete. Wow.
All I can say is "Buddy, maybe you should be looking for a new job. One that requires zero hard work (and hard hats)."

7 comments:

Guffey Family said...

To set the record straight, I didn't man the concrete pump all day while I was pregnant, usually just when someone needed a break, if I wasn't throwing up. However I did spend 8-12 hours a day on site and yes wore a hard hat when out of the office. Although I hated it because my hat size is so small they were always too big and ended up crooked or lopsided and I looked ridiculous.

Cali and Travis said...

That is pretty hilarious! Technically your OSHA rep has every right to kick him off the job if he's not going to comply because it could get you guys into trouble. Bear that in mind for the next time.

Unknown said...

Oh trust me Cali, he cooperated. We don't allow noncompliance. And Shiloh, I apologize for misrepresenting you. Would you like me to post a retraction?

Hillary and Jake said...

WOW! I am at a loss for words

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

RRRRRRRRrrrrrr. Hold me back!!!!

Wish I had been there to see...... the OSHA rep make him comply, that is! :-) I miss all the fun! Okay, maybe not. (wink, wink, nod, nod).

WV- gersioga - definition: Big dude without sleeves on his button down shirt showing off his chest.

Kelly and Jesse said...

Well I'm not going to blame him. I didn't like wearing a hardhat. I only wore mine about half the time. One of the B. brothers would always walk by and throw me one when an inspector was there.

travis said...

sounds like the natives out here.They show up in t-shirts, shorts, sandals and no hard hats and they can't figure out why they aren't allowed on the site.