Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Computer. Oh, and Disney musings.

Ryan and I bought a new computer and I want to see if my blog will work on here. As you know, we have an iPad and for some reason we can't post anything to our blog from it.
So what's on my mind? Disney. I love Disney! I love everything about Walt Disney, about Disney World, and about the Disney classics. Speaking of classics, I had a "light bulb" moment the other day. Reagan has four shows that she loves to watch: Veggie Tales, The Wiggles, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Jake and the Neverland Pirates. She doesn't much care for anything else. When she was a newborn I made the decision that she would never watch these "modern pollutions", but would instead be raised on the classics. That's right, she would only watch the classic animated movies, none of these "cheap knock-off tv shows". It made me angry that Disney was exploiting their best loved characters and modernizing them in new series' just so they could make more money (or had no fresh ideas). It was sacrilege! But that was before I realized the genius of what Disney was trying to accomplish.
Let's face it, the classics (of any variety) aren't appreciated as much anymore and not every kid is going to grow up in a home where the classics are valued. So where does that leave Disney? It leaves them trying to peddle outdated characters to a new generation that doesn't recognize them. Enter Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. If it hadn't been for that show, Reagan wouldn't have cared much when we saw Pluto in WDW back in May. She's at an age where the old Mickey shorts hold little interest for her, but Mickey Mouse Clubhouse engages her. Same with Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Yesterday we watched Peter Pan and when she saw Captain Hook she bellowed "Yo-Ho!".
So Disney was right in this instance and I was just stubborn.
Just for fun, here is a list of my top ten favorite Disney animated movies.

1. Sleeping Beauty. The gold standard of fairytale perfection. I think it is both artistically and musically perfect. It has by far the best villain and the best score. And since Michael Eisner never made a crappy, cheap sequel to it that tells me that Disney Studios also holds it in a reverent regard.
2. Beauty and the Beast. Just beautiful.
3. The Lion King. Again, this movie has a majesty about it when the animation and musical score are combined. And Nathan Lane provides some much needed levity to a rather heavy subject.
4. The Little Mermaid. Thanks to two songs "Under the Sea" and "Kiss the Girl".
5. Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Before Harry Potter, there was a harmless apprentice witch named Ms. Price.
6. The Three Caballeros. This was Disney's first full length feature to combine live action with animation. I love the Latin music!
7. The Great Mouse Detective. It's a fun movie, especially if you're a Sherlock Holmes fan.
8. Dumbo. Yes, I still cry when I see his mom in jail. In fact whenever I hear or sing "Baby Mine" I cry. Sweetest lullaby ever.
9. Robin Hood. Oo-da-lolly!
10. The Emperor's New Groove. I laugh every time I watch it!

5 comments:

Jacob and Cami said...

i tried to comment yesterday, but my computer was being ganky and wouldn't let me. I love Disney too! Although our lists of movies are a little different. I love baby mine, but Dumbo is too depressing to make my top 10. I'd probably have Aladdin in there somewhere and that Valentines special thatGrandma recorded when we were little that had "Let's hear it for the Boy."

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Did you know they are making a "live Action" Sleeping Beauty with Angelina Jolie as Malificent? She actually looks fabulous as the evil queen. They are filming right now somewhere in England. I do like your list though But I would have put Cinderella in there somewhere too. Maybe a top 15 or 20 list for me. :0)

Unknown said...

P.S. I changed your background and I liked this little Zoo animal better than the Giraffe hide. It makes me think of Reagan at the Zoo. Love you!
Mom

Unknown said...

Yes, I did know that mom. I am excited to see it.
Cami is right, there are simply too many Disney movies that I love to list them all. Tangled, Cinderella, Aladdin, Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Melody Time, Mary Poppins, So Dear to My Heart, Song of the South, The Aristocats, Peter Pan. There's just so much to love!

Hillary and Jake said...

My top 10 wouldn't have Dumbo (like Cami, too depressing) or Lion King (Hamlet is best as a British play, not an animal safari)but I definitely would have Peter Pan and Tangled in there.And Sword in the stone. I'll stop listing now. It will go on forever. I blame you though for addicting me to Disney.