Wednesday, November 9, 2011

To Miss a Moment

One of my greatest faults (of which I have many) is that I'm always looking forward to the next thing. That may not sound like a bad thing, but it is when you do it the way I do. Sometimes, okay much of the time, I get so caught up in planning and looking to the future that I forget to live in the present. I can't count the number of times my dad had to tell me "stop worrying and be a kid" when I was growing up. My parents told me frequently that I wanted to grow up too fast. I'd look forward to holidays forgetting to enjoy and celebrate the every day. I'd look forward to "milestone" birthdays forgetting to thrive at whatever age I happen to be. I'd look forward to the next move forgetting to explore and find beauty in whatever place I was living.
I don't want to do this with Reagan. I want to remember every cute facial expression, every little outfit, the outings in the stroller, the way her tiny body snuggles into mine as she naps. I want to remember everything. Already she's changed so much. That precious face has already started to fill out and become rounder. She's put on more weight, especially around the middle. And that smooth baby skin has already succumbed to large amounts of baby acne. It hit me when Parker was here just how much my baby will change in the small amount of time of one year. And I don't want to miss a moment of it. I haven't complained once about the lack of sleep (I had that before the baby anyway), the dirty diapers, the frequent feedings, the inexplicable crying. I know that one day it will all be gone... and so will my baby.

1 comment:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Your baby is never gone....she will always be your baby no matter how grown up she is. But it tugs at your heart to watch them grow up.