Tuesday, February 24, 2009

School Project

In my humanities class we've been studying art in all its forms. Paintings, etchings, drawings, sculptures, music, poems, and even photography. After learning some of the basic rules and elements (basically guidelines) of photography we were given a project. We had to take four pictures and hand them in. But not just any pictures. We had to have a portrait and a landscape and we had to choose two of the following four themes: Creation, Fall, Redemption, Hero.
This sepia of Cody was one of two I was considering for the portrait.
In the end I chose this color one because I liked the green in his eyes. I also like the angle of his head.
The landscapes were the hardest to choose from. Mom's favorite was this one of the trees, she thought they had "a lot of personality", which they do.

I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked best so I decided to turn in both. When the professor looked at me like I should have been joking I made a last minute decision to turn in the river picture as my landscape requirement. Sorry mom.
This is my redemption picture. It's probably my least favorite out of the four I turned in. It's the only one I titled. The title: Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet...
And lastly, the hero pictures. This one was Cody's favorite. Mom titled it "The Beast" on her computer. Nothing against this picture, it's an awesome picture, it just didn't match the picture that I had envisioned in my mind.
This is the picture I chose to submit because I liked the compatibility of strength (his physique) and humility (the act of him kneeling). I once heard that a true hero reaches his greatest height while on his knees.
So that's my school project. Let me know what y'all think.

6 comments:

Jacob and Cami said...

I like your redemption picture, and the picture of Cody kneeling. I must say that you are a much better photographer than me. If it was my project they would have all been some form of self taken portraits. :)

Kelly and Jesse said...

I have to say I really like the redemption picture. I liked it before, but when I read the title I really thought it was beautiful. I do like the picture of Cody kneeling too. That's the one I would have picked.

Hillary and Jake said...

I liked them all I just think that Cody is so cute. in his portraits. But I did like the kneeling one.

Brian said...

Well Skye, you asked me to comment - so here goes!

Starting with the portraits: Either photo is a good choice for the assignment. One thing you do well with both of these is you get in close and fill the frame with the subject. This makes the subject dominate and it reduces unwanted distractions in the background (the chair in the sepia image is an example of this). You also use an asymmetrical design which I think adds to the composition. One thing I recommend you try to avoid (and I don't believe this was covered in class) is using on-camera flash. I realize that sometimes it is unavoidable, but it is harsh, direct, and not very flattering light. If you have any way to avoid it (move the subject to a better lit area, shoot outdoors, etc), I recommend doing so.

Landscapes: I'm going to agree with your mom! I prefer the trees because of the wonderful texture that they create. Especially when contrasted with the smooth sky and the nearly empty foreground. I just like that visual comparison. The river isn't a bad choice either, but I tend to see a lot more of this type of shot and this one is good, but not outstanding. Some suggestions for strengthening the landscape - try and shoot at the peak times for lighting (early morning, late evening when the light is warm and it 'rakes' across the ground adding lots of texture and drama to the scene); shoot on cloudy or partly cloudy days similar to the clouds you have in the tree landscape; use a small aperture to extend the depth of field (focus) well into the frame.

Redemption: I agree. I am guessing it is your least favorite maybe because it feels contrived? Even though you have composed it well (you are using the rule of thirds and drawing the eye with isolated complementary color) it looks/seems unnatural.

Hero: You nailed it in your explanation. I much prefer the bottom image to the one above it. Your description of humility as a characteristic of real heros is insightful and accurate and the image does a god job of illustrating that.

Elaina said...

Love the pictures and the one of Cody kneeling and what you said about it hit me pretty hard. You are a great photographer!

Darryl Cody said...

thoes picturs look good